These exotic beauties are the order of the day if you want drama and a big bold statement. Who does not love a large leaf? That huge foliage that is reminiscent of holidays in tropical climates. No need to travel anywhere – we have just the ticket in Kent on our cash and carry.
All the bold leaved options below will need a sunny planting position with some shelter from the wind to enjoy the huge exotic leaves.
- Musa basjoo. Reliable, hardy and exotic. Huge paddle shaped leaves that emerge from a tall false stem. If you have visited the tropics you will be familiar with these. Hardy in the UK
- Ensete ventricosum Maurelii. The leaves are bronze-green in colour and can reach up to 3m in length. Will need winter protection
- Musa lasiocarpa. Chinese Yellow Banana is a clump forming banana reaching 2m in height. Large paddle-shaped leaves are bright green in colour. Long lasting yellow flowers are produced in the summer too.
- Musa sikkimensis Red Tiger. Huge glossy green with purple- red stripes randomly distributed across the leave accentuate the red midrib. The leaves are purple below. Height 4m
- Schefflera actinophylla. Large leathery leaves made up of 5 oblong leaflets. The leaves are dark green in appearance.