Can’t resist a bit of sizzling summer colour? Need a plant that will continually flower in the summer through to the autumn? Client wants a plant that is low maintenance?
Crocosmia has it all and more. Strapping sword-like foliage with elegant arching stems topped with vibrant flowers in an array of hot colours.
Perfect for summer colour all the way through to autumn and ranging in size from 60cm to 1m in height when in flower Crocosmia are an ideal choice for the middle of a border. Combining well with other summer colour such as herbaceous Geraniums, Hemerocallis, Dahlia and Eryngium, Crocosmia give great value for money and are recognisable by all.
The leaves are rabbit and deer resistant and are best in full sun or part shade. They do prefer a well drained but moisture retentive soil and are surprisingly drought resistant when established. A mulch in the autumn is beneficial to further growth the following year.
There are some great colour Crocosmia on the market now alongside good old reliable ‘Lucifer’ with some striking yellow and orange combinations that positively zing in this hot weather.
- Carmin Brilliant. A short stemmed form with bright orange and red flowers. Height 60cm
- Emily McKenzie. Deep orange with crimson mahogany throat. Brilliant for autumn flowering too. Height 60cm
- George Davison. Soft apricot - yellow flowers in large sprays. Height 75cm
- Lucifer. Flame red flowers from yellow - red buds. Height 1m. A perennial favourite
- Red King. Red - orange flowers. Height 80cm
- Orange Pekoe. Orange – red flowers. Height 70cm
- Babylon. Larger flowers than most. Vibrant Orange flowers. Height 30cm
- Norwich Canary. Golden yellow flowers. Height 75cm
|Lucifer||Orange Pekoe||Emily McKenzie||George Davison|