15 May 2018
A popular plant with panicles of flower spikes of fragrant flowers. A staple plant for cottage garden style planting and ideal for smaller gardens.
Syringa are tough plants that will tolerate pretty much all weathers thrown at it, easy to maintain and beautifully scented. Dark green heart shaped leaves cover the stems and show off the flowers to their full advantage.
Highly scented flowers are freely produced in clusters on the end of branches. Syringa thrive in an open sunny positions in a deep fertile soil.
Poular varieties include:
• ‘Andenken an Ludwig Spath’. Wine red single flowers.
• ‘Charles Joly’. Dark purpleish-red double flowers. Height 3m
• ‘Katherine Havemeyer’. Very fragrant deep lavender flowers. Height 3m
• ‘Madame Lemoine’. Pure white double flowers. 3 metres
• ‘Prince Wolkonsky’. A hybrid of ‘Charles Joly and Sensation with very large double lilac-red flowers
• ‘Bloomerang Dark Purple’. Lilac-pink–purple flowers in May and then intermittently until October. Compact plant reaching 1.8m in height.
• Bloomerang ‘Pink Perfume’. Scented pink flowers in May and then intermittently until October. Compact plant reaching 1.8m in height.
Bloomerang Dark Purple